Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Three lessons

We spent the last 2 days in Lafayette, Indiana. My (Jason’s) friend, Jeff, who I have grown up with basically my entire life, lives there and is trying to establish a church plant. Originally I assumed we were going to Indiana just to hang out, but if there is anything I have learned over the past few months of planning for this trip, it is that the Father’s sovereignty extends to everything. As it turns out I needed 3 things that this short stop provided.

First, I needed rest: emotional, spiritual, and physical. I slept at least 9 hours each night (Brooke slept 12 hours the first night, even through an intense mid-west thunderstorm!). We got to slow down and walk around Purdue University, hang out at a coffee shop, and try Indian cuisine at the Bombay restaurant. We played at the park with their kids, Charlie and Katie. We focused on one single family for the first time in a long time, and didn’t worry about planning and preparing.

Second, we got to baby-sit. Now that may sound odd to many of you that baby-sitting was somehow fulfilling to our world, but it signifies the purpose of our next nine months. Even here in the states we hope we were able to bring refreshment to His workers. They have been working on this church plant for about 8 months and don’t get a lot of alone time. SO we were thrilled to watch the kids (who are amazing, by the way) for an evening and give Jeff and Jen time together.

Third, we had a conversation the first night that has kept me thinking since. The question posed involved the inherent tension involved in living in the physical world, while living for spiritual significance. Specifically, what standard of results gives evidence of spiritual success within our current culture? It has been my tendency to harp on the modern day pervasiveness to use numbers as the ultimate standard of effectiveness and success. Such a standard seems cold, impersonal, and full of “look at us” arrogance. But if not numbers then what? What does the man who truly desires to live a life of significance do to understand the measure of his success? How should my friend know that he is being effective with the time and resources the Father has given him as this plant has not yet fully developed? How should I assess the work he has done before the Father? How will you assess the value of the trip Brooke and I are taking from the question of Kingdom significance?

I am interested to hear what some of your responses are. For me, at least at the moment I see a personal responsibility that may not result in corporate acknowledgement. We may be faithful to serve Him where he has called us, doing what he has asked us to do, and yet see no favorable response from it. Success may indeed be measured solely at times in the quietness of my own heart, regardless of the visible results. This is not to say that the outward manifestation of someone’s work is somehow unimportant, but that it may not be the most accurate indication of the success the Father desires. Take for instance many of the Minor Prophets doing His work and taking a beating for it. Or some of the small churches that may never grow physically across America, but have zeal, depth, and passion that is unmistakable yet are regarded lightly due to size alone.

I want this trip to be meaningful and significant within the Kingdom, and I believe these next 9 months will require a new standard to hold us accountable to. I believe we are currently seeking out this standard to give us direction within our trip. What about you? At the end of these 9 months what standard will you use to determine if your life has been lived significantly these past 9 months? Hopeful that each of us will live the life He has called us to diligently and fully ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if in asking how we measure success we are focusing on the wrong thing? Are we actually called to be 'successful', or are we just called to be obedient? If our responsibility is just to draw closer to the Father so that He can use us as He wills, then 'success', or lack of it, becomes His responsibility. If we are close to Him, then we don't have to worry whether we're doing the right thing or not - we're in a position to hear His voice when He tells us.

For me, part of the struggle is that I want people to think that 'I' am successful - hence our cultural preoccupation with statistics. It's not such a stroke to my ego when people think that the Father is successful.

brooke mardell said...

I (Brooke) have had reason to put this idea into direct application this week, as a surprise and potentially disappointing bit of news came to me about a case I invested a lot of time into this summer. How do I, as an attorney, measure success? Is it winning or losing my client’s battle? Is the outcome less determinative than what I put into it? Or is even that too limited a view … I am a believer first and an attorney second. So if “success” is measured by what draws me closer to the Father, then anything – whether a “win” or “loss” or simply a more complicated battle – is successful if in fact I allow it to draw me closer to Him. This week, to be sure, it did … but that wasn’t my first response. Perhaps there will come a day when I will measure things differently?