Thursday, October 19, 2006

Sigh (the good kind)

So, the other night we joined Ally in a study of the Word, and were going over the two greatest commands: to love God with all our heart, soul and mind, and to love our neighbors as ourselves. Though it seems so simple, I had truly thought of those commands as near equal, and had glossed right over the order in which they were given. Perhaps it’s easier to focus on the love your neighbor part because we can grasp the tangible nature of that. And it’s a tough challenge – anytime this passage is addressed, the discussion is generally about how much we all love ourselves and how it’s hard to love a neighbor at the same level. But if I were to actually love God with all my heart, than there would not be this high level of selfish love remaining in me, and thus the challenge of loving someone else wouldn’t seem like such a chasm to cross.

I (Brooke) have really appreciated the various encouragement I’ve received, from people and the Word, this week, to just get over myself and relax. To not feel like I have to justify everything I do (or don’t do). To just be. Not the first time I’ve had to receive this kind of encouragement  - not likely to be the last, either, but important everytime.

Tonight, we got to join Ally at “Chai House” – a make-shift coffee shop environment where Turkish friends are invited to come and meet and chat informally. It was really a blessing. Both to be able to engage through halted English/Turkish, and to watch Ally share and continue building relationships here. Her passion for the Father is evident despite the pragmatic obstacles here. She told me tonight that she’s here because the Father is not receiving the glory He is worthy of from this part of the world. Wow, perspective.

No comments: