Thursday, October 26, 2006

Getting Older in a Place that knows all about OLD.

So I turned 30 the other day. Hey I know I still look like I should be finishing college, but thirty is what I am. My brother told me I couldn’t hide from it even if I left the states, and he was right. 30; it sounds so old. Don’t get me wrong, plenty of you reading this are far older than me … (My pastor who only looks 35ish is easily 70 years old, my wise father who gained wisdom with age, my older brother who is by very definition “older”) … but for me it’s 3 decades of life that leave me feeling a little contemplative. The Father has given me a significant portion of years and I wonder what I have done with it? It’s the hay, straw, silver and gold question. What of my life to date would burn away, and what would withstand the fire of His holiness? I know the basis of my life is not founded on works, yet “life” by definition implies an active, carried out thing. So what have I carried out so far? What have you?

Then, just when I thought 30 was old I went to Caesarea and walked along the ruins of the great port that Herod built. It was in this city that Cornelius the Centurion called Peter to his household (Acts 12?). This is where Paul stood witness before Festus and Agrippa (Acts 24-26). This is old. 2000 years old. It’s hard to explain how something like this hits you, it comes gradually. At first is the impending excitement, “I’m going to see something really old.” Then the awe of knowing that this is where the stories took place. Then the disillusioning, “cool, but is that it?”. Finally a steady contemplativeness that realizes His Word is accurate and historical, and a thankfulness that He would allow me to spend time here seeking His face in the ruins of many centuries.

On my Birthday Brooke took me to Old Jaffa. This is the city where Peter was staying with Simon the Tanner when he received the invitation from the centurion in Caesarea. After walking through this village we went to a local beach near Tel Aviv and relaxed together for a while. The day was beautiful and the water of the Mediterranean was cool but not cold. Thanks for each of you who wished me a happy birthday, it was much appreciated.

1 comment:

T-Dub said...

Hey, atleast being 30 can now be your excuse for me whippin your butt in ball. So it can't be that bad of a thing.