Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A Memory To Savor

I remember in the classic “Parent Trap” movie when young Haley Mills smells her Grandpa’s smoking jacket so she can remember him whenever she smells peppermint and tobacco.

Well there aren’t a lot of smells I want to keep with me as we get ready to leave Africa, but there are sounds. This afternoon the youth leaders surrounded us to pray for the rest of our trip. The prayer started as a song. I sat there just wishing my brain could record their voices – the harmonies, the obvious sincerity. Heck, I cry when “normal” prayers are being offered on my behalf – hearing it sung took it up a notch. What the heck.

I doubt it’s really possible to recognize or express how different people impress your life, and usually the depths of those impressions aren’t apparent until later. But these youth definitely joined those ranks …

The gist of their song was this: Nothing can I trust, except the blood of Jesus. I don’t have good deeds that can clean my sin. On Jesus I can stand. That is my rock and my safety. If my way would be long, he would offer me salvation. If waves rock the boat, his power is my stand. His blood and sacrifice are what I depend on. If called to stand before the court, I don’t have a friend before Jesus. I have peace in my heart; I am not afraid before Him.

Asante Sana, Rafikis.

2 comments:

T-Dub said...

That's a really good post. I'm glad to read it. When are you leaving Africa and where to next? How can we be praying for you specifically?
Love you guys.

Anonymous said...

Oh Valentines Day......
not my most favorite of American Holidays, yet still an enjoyable day for sure. when i sit back and think about love expressed through friendship and fellowship, the memories of a third floor dormatory and one bedroom house fill my mind and heart. where two kind souls welcomed my friends and I in on a regular basis. it was in that place where we were refreshed and encouraged to love our Lord more at the end of the night than when we first came in. thanks for that reminder of love you guys. I pray that His Love leads you, comforts you, rests you and guides you today. Happy Valentines Day -Charlie