Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Greetings From a Delirious Friend...

So it’s been a while since I wrote a blog and Brooke has been on me to sit down and write so I’m just going to let things come as they do…

…Super Tuesday, February 6 Had the opportunity to see the Super Bowl , one of the neighbors here recorded it off of Satellite TV. SO I had to discipline myself not to look up Yahoo or ESPN for a few days. It was the first American Football Game I have seen in months and since the Colts won it turned out to be a good day J. The only bummer was that it was a copy from ESPN so we didn’t see any of the new commercials. So I guess Brooke and I will have to catch up on those when we get back.

…So I’m sick again, probably Malaria, high fever, joint ache, stomach cramps, etc. … I’m thankful that we have access to and can afford good medication. Malaria is deadly because many people don’t have access to its cure. That leaves something to be pondered - how many other things are involved in my world that would be deadly to most people but I have access and means for the cure? Really and truly we are a blessed nation and need to continue living in that recognition sharing what we have been given and living openhanded before the Lord.

…I spoke at my last African church on Sunday, just before I got sick. God was good to give me health through the service. I really have enjoyed preaching here, it has been a good time of discipline in the Word studying and preparing to present His Word to others. I preached on Living in a relationship of Love with God instead of a relationship of duty and obedience for Him. I have no idea if anyone has learned much from my preaching, but I know that God has expanded my own knowledge and experience of Him through these times of preparation. Preaching can be a very humbling thing, even before you do it.

…We leave for China in less than a week. I have never in my life been all that desirous to spend time in Asia, but the closer we get to it the more God lays it on my heart. I am excited first to see my friend Jim, who I taught with for a year in 2002-2003. But more than that I am actually becoming intrigued by the Chinese culture in specific, as well as the Asian cultures in general. Plus the 2008 Olympics are being held in Beijing so we will be able to see some of the preparations for that. We are only in China 9 days, definitely not enough time to see it all, so maybe we will have to come back for the Olympics? Hmm …

…Brooke and I will be speaking 3 or 4 times in Bangladesh after we leave China, so please remember those times. We also will be staying with a Muslim friend of Brooke’s which should be an interesting and enjoyable experience.

…It’s hard not to look ahead, as we see the second half of our experience looming closer, and start thinking about home, and what we will do and where we will be when we get back. I’m not sure what God has, I don’t want to miss out on what he has planned here and now, but I also don’t want to be foolish and not think through our next steps.
…For those of you who are wondering, the life of a vagabond can be glamorous, and it can also be a pain in the butt (and stomach, and head, and … )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's hard to believe that you have been gone as long as you have been. What a blessing to have spent that much time in Africa. You have my prayers as you preach and as you travel. Sorry about the bug J.