Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Saturation

So today I learned an important lesson – my pants get a bit indecent when saturated. And it didn’t take long for me to reach a saturation point in today’s downpour.

This matches a bit of what my heart and mind have felt lately: saturation. I’m not sure how much more I can absorb. There are moments I just feel done with being the tourist attraction for everyone to either practice their English on or to ask for money – or both. Moments I just want to know what I’m looking at in the grocery store. Or which direction to go to even get to the grocery store. And I think we reached our language capacity back in China.

The other day we found a “secluded” beach – it stayed secluded for about 15 minutes, until some of the local village children came to see the sights – us. ‘Personal space’ has no meaning, and I finally just started laughing when I looked up and was literally surrounded within inches. I had to fight the initial frustration in order to appreciate that it was pure curiosity that brought them, and finally as I sat up and laughed (the international language), their smiles in return won me over. Somehow I accidentally gave them the impression that I wanted them to collect seashells for me, so before I knew it I had about 10 pockets-full. By then my only frustration was the language barrier.

It’s not easy to be away from your home country for this long – but it is good. I was especially reminded of that yesterday as the Father renewed my heart. It was just one of those days when you’re aware of what you’ve been given. The air was clear, the day was bright, the islands off the coast inviting, and the breeze refreshing, not to mention the ridiculous privilege of getting to share life with those the Father has called here.

I still feel saturated, and now I know not to wear those pants if it looks like rain, but I’m glad to wake up where He has me.

4 comments:

T-Dub said...

Jason, what did I tell you about wearing indecent clothing? I thought we got rid of that bad habit back in the dorms. J/K

Brooke, I appreciate your attitude and determination. You and Jason are an encouragement to more people than you realize. Despite the language barrier, people can still communicate nonverbally. Many times it speaks louder than words ever could. I'm glad that you were able to laugh and deal with the "saturation" in a healthy way. I know that it will strengthen you and develop you into the woman you were made to be. I pray that you will stay motivated and continue to have that attitude. You'll be home soon enough.

Love you guys.

Ally said...

Sometimes it does wear on you to be the attraction everyday, and to not know whats going on around you all the time. I have to agree though, you guys are an encouragement more than you know. So thank you for leaving your home country for so long to love on people all over the world. I speak from experience, it is a blessing. I love and miss you guys.

T-Dub said...

Jason, I can now look at you with a straight face. Thanks for cleaning up...a little. lol

brooke mardell said...

Ah Ally, you're gonna make me cry ... thanks, girl. We love ya and were thinking about you the other day when we saw some new about Istanbul - we couldn't understand the Viatnamese of course, but figured out where they were talking about when everyone was getting off the ferry taxi and we were like "Hey, we recognize that!"