Monday, August 20, 2007

Life and Life

It's been an interesting week. Lots to think about LIFE. When it starts, when it ends ...

Most of you know that I came home with a passion for adoption - among other passions :), basically all of which revolve around the fundamental goal of connecting needs to resources.

So I've been pursuing work in the adoption field, anywhere from practicing adoption law to working for an agency to whatever would teach me more. This week brought the idea of possibly working in a program for Embryo Adoption - a brand new (for me) avenue. And a direct answer to prayer from our very personal Lord - I cried out to him on Thursday that I was out of ideas, and on Friday this new idea called. It's been simply fascinating to contemplate all the issues that science now brings, the ethical and moral considerations involved, and the simple awe of a God who still controls what we think we might have mastered - for instance, I was told of a story where one embryo was implanted and identical twins were born, reminding us all that as much as science can answer, there is still a Sovereign who dictates when and how life begins.

We also attended a funeral this week in celebration of a 95-year life that has now ended. There's nothing more humbling than honoring such a long life, and I'll admit that half of my tears were for the family that is now mourning her, and half were in contemplation of what funerals my future holds - who will be the last of my close friends to pass? Who will be the first? How will we all cope with saying goodbye? I'm not being morbid, really I'm not. And then yesterday we were talking to this dear woman at church who said "I have leukemia, so I'm dying" ... she said it with such a sparkle in her eye and a readiness to meet the Lord, that once again, we were set back on our heels in wonder.

Life. What will we do with it? What will you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I was contemplating my selfishness and my lack of strength to carry the burdens of others, I came into work at the NICU and one of the babies had died about an hour before I got there. They did what they could but it was not enough...life is short. Love you guys

lizhoweth said...

you are both beautiful writers and thinkers....and people, for that matter. i'm excited to hear more about this adoption situation.

love you
did you get my voicemail response to your bridesmaid dress question?